HomeAboutLifeMommyhoodRecipesContactFBemail

Monday, February 14, 2011

First Trip to L&D

Everything is good!!

Yesterday we went grocery shopping and about 5 minutes into the produce section I started to feel uncomfortable. By the time we made it to dairy I was tearing up and felt like my legs were going to give out. The pain was shooting across my lower abdomen and wrapping around my back.

As soon as we got home I called the doctor who instructed me to lay down, drink as much water as I could and call back in an hour if it was still bothering me. Once I was off my feet the pain and pressure let eased up significantly. I fell asleep for about an hour and woke up around 4 feeling ok.

I hadn't eaten since the morning so I ate a small snack. Once up and moving I noticed I was having some Braxton Hicks. At first I didn't pay much attention to them because I've had them before and I was drinking a lot and I usually notice them more with a full bladder.

Around 5:00 I realized they weren't stopping. Not only weren't they stopping but they were a bit more than uncomfortable. I started timing them and they were pretty regular around 8-10 minutes apart lasting for about a minute each. If it hadn't been for the ridic pain I had that morning I probably wouldn't have called the doc at all but I was still pretty freaked and we decided to call.

They told us to go into L&D where they hooked us up to the monitors to watch what was happening. I also had my first internal, which showed a closed and posterior cervix, which was fabulous news. When they tested my urine they noticed both keytones and white blood cells. Neither of which they want to see. The keytones likely from not eating a lot. I will be mentioning it at our appointment because it can be linked to insulin issues as well. The white blood cells are likely from a UTI. I did not think I had any UTI symptoms but thinking about it some signs are there.

As for the contractions the monitor did not pick up anything significant. I let them know when I was feeling it so they were aware. They are sure the pressure and sensations were due to dehydration and infection. They weren't very happy in the beginning with the babys activity level, which could also be due to me not eating much Sunday. They had me drink apple juice and orange juice, which woke the baby up nicely and she was bouncing around.

It was a very long night. I had quite a bit of water & juice at the hospital so I was up quite often to use the bathroom. I also didn't eat dinner until late so of course I had horrendous reflux. I cried, I think I was just so tired and stressed.

I do not feel fabulous today. Achy and sore for the most part. I'm waiting to hear back about the urine cultures and since I'm extraordinarily obsessive I'm trying to keep a good kick count record and when and where I'm feeling pressure. They gave us a list of things to watch out and call about and so far so good. Unless we notice something strange we have our next appointment next Friday.

1 comment: